Waxahachie Chautauqua events
OUR MAIN EVENT: Annual day-long Chautauqua Festival
WHEN: Last Saturday of September, 9am - 5pm.
WHERE: Chautauqua Auditorium and tents in Getzendaner Memorial Park, Waxahachie, Texas.
WHAT: A day of education, entertainment and inspiration around a chosen theme for the
year. Presentations, concerts, speakers, demonstrations, and exhibits view the theme through the arts,
humanities, and sciences.
(2016): "THE WORLD OF WATER" - Saturday, September 24, 2016
See 2016 Preliminary FLYER (pdf)
See 2016 Preliminary PRESENTATIONS (pdf)
PROGRAMS (confirmed as of 5/22/16):
- KEYNOTE: Fabien Cousteau, grandson of Jacques Cousteau: "The Great Ocean Adventure"
- Excavation of the Shipwreck La Belle from Matagorda Bay
- Science & Music of the Glass Harp by Glass Harpist Brien Engel from Atlanta, GA
- "Heroes on the Water": Returning veterans are helped to heal through being on water and in water
- Aquaponic Farming - Green Pheonix Farms explores this type of farming in the future
- Music about Water on the Harpsichord and in Voice: From Handel's "Water Music" to "Shenandoah"
- Chemistry Roadshow - TAMU students bring dynamic interactive show of chemistry & water
- Old-Fashioned Singers - Old-time gospel songs about rivers & waters
EXHIBITS / DEMOS (confirmed as of 5/22/16):
- Rain water harvesting with rainbarrels (Ellis County Master Gardeners)
- Aquaponic demonstration from Green Pheonix Farms
- Musical glasses (glass harp) demonstration (Brien Engel plus Interactive Table)
- Excavated exhibits from La Belle (Bullock Texas State History Museum)
- Drone exhibit with North Texas Drone Users Group
- Prairieland Groundwater Conservation Trailer - interactive "museum on wheels"
- U.S. Postal stamps showing water-related stamps
Check back frequently for latest program additions! And consider becoming a Program Sponsor.