JULY 26th - noon- Chautauqua grove dedication!
- WHAT: Dedication of the new Chautauqua Grove next to the Chautauqua Auditorium in Getzendaner Memorial Park. Includes 2 new markers dedicated to Chautauqua keynote speakers, astronaut Fred Haise (2015) and ocean explorer Fabien Cousteau (2016). Find out where future Chautauquans will find future shade under 2 new Red Oak trees!
- WHEN: Wed, July 26, 2017, 12:00-12:15pm - Guaranteed to be the Shortest Event and the Best Cold Lemonade of the season!
- WHERE: Getzendaner Memorial Park. Park on Tennery Street next to the Chautauqua Auditorium if you want to be close to the new "Grove"!
JULY 26th - 7 pm - Chautauqua Birthday celebration!
- WHAT: Celebration of "Waxahachie Chautauqua Day" in Texas!
The revealing of a new poem by poet David Smith, just commissioned to celebrate the Waxahachie Chautauqua!
A slide show by Assistant City Manager Michael Scott about the dynamic changes happening in Waxahachie, with new and future parks and other Public Spaces in the works!
Music, Birthday Cake, and general Celebration!
- WHEN: Wed, July 26, 2017, 7:00-8:30pm
- WHERE: Ellis County Woman's Building, 407 West Jefferson Street, Waxahachie, Texas
- COST: Free to anyone!
- WHY: Texas House Bill 1254 has been passed by the 85th Texas Legislature & signed by the governor, designating July 26th as "Waxahachie Chautauqua Day" in Texas!
- This bill honors the first day of the Waxahachie Chautauqua on July 26, 1900.
- July 26th will now be celebrated each year as the birthday of the Waxahachie Chautauqua and its cultural and educational heritage.
- The bill officially becomes law on Sept 1, 2017 but, of course, we'll start celebrating a little early - on July 26, 2017!